Sharps are defined as any object that can puncture or penetrate the skin. Inoculation is done with the use of needles and syringes, scalpels, scissors, forceps, similar sharp items. The utility of sharps and syringes presents a possibility for cuts, bruises & puncture wounds. If safe handling and disposal is not done for these objects, they can cause serious damage to others.
In residential and healthcare environment, it is imperative that sharps and syringes are handled with care and disposed as soon as possible after use. This means that the sharps disposal container should be in the room where the syringes and sharps are used. Once the sharps container is full, ensure that it is properly sealed and disposed as per Health & Safety regulations.
If you are using needles for any reason at all at home or a facility, or find your premises contaminated, check on your community guidelines for sharps and needle cleanup and safe disposal. However, for everyone’s safety, it is best that sharps and syringes cleanup and disposal is handled by trained professionals. Bio Hazard Services Pty Ltd has a specialised sharps and syringes cleanup team that can tackle such situations. Having the required training and years of experience in professional cleaning we are happy to assist in any way we can to solve your sharps and syringe problem. You can also contact us when a biohazard cleaning is needed or you need to deal with mould growth.
Here are some basic tips on handling and disposing sharps and syringes:
- If possible, place the sharps disposal containers within an arm’s reach of the area where they are used. Ensure that the container is placed low enough so it is possible to readily visualise the opening.
- Work with only one uncapped syringe at a time and keep all the other uncapped syringes in sight in order to avoid any accidents.
- Do not use your mouth to open the syringe’s needle cap. Use both your hands for this procedure.
- Dispose sharps immediately and avoid leaving them unattended.
- Upon use, needles pose a high risk of cross contamination and injury. Do not bend, break, or recap by hand before disposing the used syringe needles. Recapping, intentional bending, breaking, removing needles from used syringes is strictly prohibited.
- Immediately dispose a used syringe and needle as per the guidelines – as a unit – directly into the designated sharps container without any sort of manipulation or damage to the needle.
- Even if you are equipped with gloves, avoid dealing and handling broken or contaminated glassware directly by hand.
- Place sharps containers in every room which sees usage of sharps and syringes. The used syringe needle could cause an accident even while walking with it from one room to the other.
- Do not try to force sharps and syringe needles into a container or try to retrieve a disposed needle from the container.
- Keep the disposal containers in upright position at all times.
Some property owners may also be left with a rental property filled with biohazardous waste as well as needles, syringes and other drug equipment. Highly infectious bloodborne pathogens can be passed to any individuals coming in contact with these contaminated items. This is the main risk associated with sharps such as needles and syringes. Don’t put yourself, your family or employees at risk of disease or potential physical harm. You can call us or get in touch with us for a Sharps and Syringes cleanup. At Bio Hazard Services Pty Ltd, our team of qualified technicians follow a step by step procedure, using specialised equipment and wearing the appropriate PPE.
Our Sharps and Syringes cleanup service includes:
- Safe removal of all needles, syringes, broken bottles, glass, any other sharps and drug material from the site,
- Responsible disposal of all biohazardous and contaminated material off-site, and
- Effective decontamination and sanitisation of the affected area.
Bio Hazard Services also specialises in Biohazard Cleaning, Decontamination and Disinfection, Meth Decontamination and Meth Screening, Mould Removal as well as Water and Flood Damage Restoration services in Sydney, Blue Mountains and Regional NSW.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com or contact us on 0490439319. We are available 24×7 to help you at the time you need it the most.